Think Safety When It Comes To Electricity

Here are some specific tips to avoid electrical fires in your home:

  1. Check for loose-fitting plugs in electrical outlets, which can be a fire hazard. Replace missing or broken wall plates so wiring and components are not exposed.
  2. Avoid overloading outlets with adapters and too many appliance plugs (especially important as the holiday season begins).
  3. Make sure cords are not frayed or cracked, placed under carpets or rugs, or placed in high traffic areas. Don’t nail or staple cords to walls, floors or other objects.
  4. Use extension cords on a temporary basis only. They are not intended as permanent household wiring.
  5. If an appliance repeatedly blows a fuse, trips a circuit breaker or has given you an electrical shock, immediately unplug it and have it repaired or replaced.
  6. Wiring defects are a major cause of residential blazes. Check periodically for loose wall receptacles, loose wires, or loose lighting fixtures. Listen for popping or sizzling sounds behind walls. Immediately shut off, then professionally replace light switches that are hot to the touch and lights that spark and flicker.

Due to a company event, our office will open at 10 am on Friday, October 19. We apologize for the inconvenience.