Make Sure You’re Covered Before You Say “Road Trip”

The sunny days of spring and summer lure thousands of individuals and families to the open road each year. Before loading up the car, check with E. R. Munro and Company to determine if you are properly protected. Q:  If someone else drives my car, does my automobile policy cover other drivers if an accident occurs?

A:  The other driver may be partially covered if the driver had your approval to use the car for a specific purpose. If an accident causes damages that exceed the amount allowed by your policy, then the other driver’s insurance may be considered as supplemental insurance.

Q:  Do I need extra insurance if I rent a vehicle for my vacation trip?

A:  If your automobile insurance extends to rentals, you probably won’t need extra rental insurance. However, be sure you understand the deductible and how it applies to rental vehicles. Some automobile insurance policies allow “waiver of deductible” coverage. With this type of coverage, policyholders do not have to pay the deductible when they are in accidents that are not their fault when driving a rental.

Q:  Does my automobile insurance cover items stolen from my vehicle?

A:  Your vehicle is parked at a beach parking lot and someone breaks a window to steal your laptop computer, cell phone, CDs, purse or tablet. Under most insurance policies, damages would extend to the broken window and not to any electronics or other items in your vehicle. Instead, the electronics or other items are covered under your homeowners policy.

Before hitting the open road, take time to increase your insurance knowledge. Call us at 1-877-376-8676 Monday – Friday 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and get the information you need to have a safe and relaxing vacation.