Take Precautions When Using Alternative Heating Sources

With the start of fall right around the corner (September 23), you’ll want to be cautious about relying on alternative heating methods to take the chill out of your home.

If not installed or used properly, alternative heat sources such as space heaters, kerosene heaters and wood stoves, among others, increase the risk of fire and carbon monoxide poisoning.

According to the National Fire Protection Association, home heating equipment is a leading cause of home fires. These fires may be the result of:

  • Creosote build-up, a flammable tar byproduct of wood smoke that builds upon the walls of a chimney or wood stove in wood burning devices, chimneys and connectors;
  • Failing to give space heaters enough space;
  • Fueling errors, i.e., putting gasoline in a kerosene heater; and
  • Improper installation of the heater.

Have a qualified professional install your heating equipment according to local codes and manufacturer’s instructions.

If you have a fireplace, make sure it has a screen to stop sparks from flying into the room.

Never place space heaters near curtains, furniture, or other flammable objects. Do not drape wet clothing or blankets on or near space heaters. have fireplace flues, chimneys and vents cleaned and inspected every year by a qualified professional. And remember to test your smoke and carbon monoxide alarms on a monthly basis.

Call E. R. Munro and Company about your homeowners or renters insurance at 1-877-376-8676. We can determine if you have enough insurance coverage to completely rebuild your home and replace your personal belongings in case of a fire.

Our office will close at noon on Friday, December 13 for our annual Christmas luncheon. We will reopen on Monday, December 16 at 9 am.