Don’t forget to blow out the candles

If you use candle-lighted jack o’ lanterns to decorate your home for Halloween, be sure to blow out the candles before retiring for the night.

Halloween decorations caused 840 home fires in 2016, resulting in a total of $11.4 million in property damage, according to the National Fire Protection Association.

Instead of using real fire to light your pumpkins, use battery-powered bulbs, to minimize the risk of fire entirely.

If you set your home on fire because of Halloween decorations, your homeowners insurance will cover the damage up to the coverage limit in your policy. Make sure your home is covered for its full replacement value in the event of a total fire loss.

Call E. R. Munro and Company at 1-877-376-8676, ext. 136 to see if your home is protected with a full replacement value policy.